This photo, taken in Penn’s Common, looks west-southwestward into Reading. Notice in the foreground the early, octagonal springhouse which also appears in an accompanying lithograph. Directly below the springhouse is “the lake”, which once had a bridge crossing it. Contrasting this view with the 1857 Geil & Shrope map makes one aware to what degree the park changed over the years. On the map the springhouse appears nowhere near any roadway.