The late John Tenschert, pioneer Reading Eagle lens man, took this photograph on Jan. 21, 1932, the day the prisoners were moved to the new county prison on the W.W. Essick tract in Bern Township. This view clearly shows the details of “the great tower” and the two 50-foot-high octagonal bastions that stood on either side of the main entrance.